A top-performing baselayer is worth more than its weight in gold. You can easily swap out midlayers or shells on the fly, but once you don your base it better be a good one, because you probably aren’t changing it mid-mission. If you want the security of breathable warmth that moves with you and will regulate your temperature, there’s no better choice than merino wool. And Smartwool‘s baselayers are the most robust and reliable of any we’ve tried. These garments are designed with care, by people who are out in the harshest elements and understand what’s needed to keep you comfortable so you can spend more time in nature.
Their extensive Merino 250 midweight base layers (available for men and women) serve for all your cold-weather adventures. We tried the redesigned 3/4 Bottoms, which are handy to keep your ski boots, hiking boots, and running shoes free of bulk and friction. 100% responsibly sourced Merino wool provides ultimate breathability and comfort, while reducing sag and excess fabric—ideal for layering. If we had to pick one feature we like above all others, it’s the wide, Merino-lined waistband that never pinches.
- 100% Merino wool fabric made with an interlock knit for enhanced comfort, breathability, thermoregulation, and odor resistance
- Fit updated to improve functionality while enhancing aesthetics
- Merino-covered elastic waistband and traditional fly design
- Flatlock seam construction designed to minimize chafing
- 100% Merino Wool; Exclusive of decoration.
With a lightweight build, the Women’s PhD® Ski Light Elite provides you with targeted cushioning on the shin, ball, and heel for protection without bulk in tight-fitting boots. These over-the-calf socks feature Smartwool’s Indestructawool™ technology for enhanced durability, their 4 Degree™ elite fit system for a performance-ready fit, and the Virtually Seamless™ toe for in-boot comfort. They are designed with a wider welt to help ensure the perfect fit, and mesh zones help keep things breathable and dry.
- Indestructawool™ technology for enhanced durability
- 4 Degree™ elite fit system for a dialed, performance-oriented fit
- Body-mapped mesh zones for added breathability
- Wider welt for secure fit and comfort
- Virtually Seamless™ toe for enhanced comfort
- 13″ overall height
- 56% Merino Wool 42% Nylon 2% Elastane.
Check the ML Podcast!